As a result of reading one too many self-help books, I’ve decided to share something! Recently I attended a seminar by FranklinCovey on the ‘5 choices to Extraordinary Productivity’ and it got me thinking. They share a really simple recipe to push oneself past the borders of average results and sometimes I use it to inspire myself to do something special or get rid of a lazy mood.
1. Divide your life into the most important “roles”. I like to use a pie-chart:
Some examples of roles could be :
- Child of God
2. Then ask yourself (and write it down): What would it take to be an extraordinary __[role]__?
3. List some simple things you would like to achieve or do differently to become extraordinary in each role. An example could be “To be an extraordinary daughter I am going to call my parents every day to make sure they are ok and I will take them out every month.” Another example could be “To be an extraordinary student, I will dedicate 2 hours every day to revise my work and aim for a 90+ average.”
4. When you’re finished with this list, examine your life and see where the gaps between ordinary and extraordinary are.
5. The most important step is constantly thinking about what you are doing and always asking yourself if you are doing it in extraordinary ways. When you have a moment of boredom or you’re looking for something to do, reach out and do something special for someone. They will appreciate it more than you know.